대메뉴 바로가기 본문 바로가기

News Release

Launch of Korea’s First Space Launch Vehicle scheduled for the Second Half of 2009

• Department Administrator
  • Registration Date 2008-08-09
  • Hits 9172

Thorough tests to be carried out for a successful launch

The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology held a KSLV-I launch review committee meeting on July 31, 2008. After reviewing the status of the launch preparations, the second half of 2009 was decided as the possible launch timeframe for KSLV-I (Korea Space Launch Vehicle-I), Korea’s first launch vehicle.

During the meeting, experts assessed that the KSLV-I launch schedule would have to be adjusted because of a delay in the installation of the launch complex system due to the recent earthquake in Sichuan, China which resulted in the late delivery of parts manufactured in that region, as well as the addition of extra performance tests to guarantee the success of Korea’s first launch.

Meanwhile, the ministry stated that it will continue to thoroughly monitor the progress of the launch preparations with the successful launch and safety of Korea’s first space launch vehicle as top priority.

In this regard, the KSLV-I launch review committee, composed of experts in areas such as launch vehicle technology and safety, will continue its work in preparing for the launch. Plans for the launch will be made in close consultation with Russia.