대메뉴 바로가기 본문 바로가기

News Release

3rd Launch Attempt of the KSLV-I Space Launch Vehicle Successful

• Department Administrator
  • Registration Date 2013-01-31
  • Hits 19899

At 4:00 p.m. on January 30, 2013, the KSLV-I space launch vehicle, carrying the Naro scientific satellite (STSAT-2C), finally flew into space with a brilliant flame, after three consecutive attempts.

All launch events proceeded nominally beginning with the successful separation of the fairing, which was the main cause for the failure of the 1st launch attempt, at 215 seconds, the 1st and 2nd stage separated as planned at 231 seconds, the 2nd stage kick motor ignited at 395 seconds with shut off occurring at 455 seconds after reaching the target orbit, and successful separation of the satellite was accomplished at 540 seconds.

The Naro scientific satellite (STSAT-2C) was successfully inserted into its target orbit (300km perigee, 1,500km apogee) after being separated from the KSLV-I space launch vehicle. The ground station in Norway successfully received the beacon signal from the Naro scientific satellite for a duration of 10 minutes at 5:26 p.m. on the day of the launch. First contact was made with the ground station of the Satellite Technology Research Center at KAIST in Daejeon during a 14 minute satellite pass over the Korean peninsula at 3:28 a.m. confirming that the satellite was operating normally.